Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly... All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise... blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these sunken eyes and learn to see all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Monday, March 06, 2006

"I'm just tryin' to matter." June Carter Cash / Reese Witherspoon

Maybe it was the proliferation of high end chocolate treats in my blood stream combined with a cup of Starbucks finest that caused me to be so swept away this year. Maybe it was the three nominated movies I managed to see – no, none of them were even close to best picture… we’re talking Narnia, Batman Begins and Harry Potter than you very much. Or maybe it was the theatre filled to the gills with supporters, volunteers and all sorts of beautiful people (especially those in cowboy regalia ala Broke Back) who came out for an evening of chocolate, schmoozing, and in support of both the red carpet and all those shiny gold men and those red ribbons and the fight against AIDS. I guess it doesn’t matter what it was. I got totally swept away and Maria couldn’t help but giggle along with me occasionally or as join in as I gave my little applause for those that I decided right then and there that I would cheer for. I have to admit that the two highlights of the night were cheering loudly for Larry McMurtry as he spoke the gospel of the written word and those brave booksellers who keep selling books (Yay! BOOKS!) and the following interaction with the man serving super rich chocolate cake from the St. Paul Grill. When he looked up from the cake he said “Hello!” and gave me the same expression that I previously had been aiming at the chocolately deliciousness that he had been slicing and was about to place on my plate. In amidst the cowboy couples and aging queens perhaps I was a sight for sore eyes.

Meh. Maybe he just has a thing for hot librarian types in fishnets…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home