Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly... All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise... blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these sunken eyes and learn to see all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Thursday, March 10, 2005

This morning I dreampt I was having an extended conversation with my favorite Radio K dj, Thomas Kwong. I’m not quite sure what we were talking about, but it was definitely longer than our conversations, if you could call them that have been in real life. Ok. Let’s be honest, I’ve only spoken with him once. I was driving home from Edina, having just quit my new temp job on the second day, after having been offered a real job in a field that is as close to “my field” as its probably going to get. I was in a joyful mood, the people that I had to tell I was quitting were much more pleasant than I expected. Many of them came up to wish me well and even though I felt a little guilty over quitting on the second day my supervisor told me that many of them would have done the same thing had the opportunity arose. It was just after 8am and I was driving against the morning rush hour traffic with the grey winter sky as a backdrop. The lousy coloring was no match for my happiness so I decided to call in to Radio K and request the only song that I knew would truly express my mood “Me and Mia” by Ted Leo (I won't link to it again, you know I love it). Thomas was not thrilled with my request. He explained that when the song first came out it was constantly in his cue and while he liked it he had gotten sick of it and was not going to play it again. We had a nice little conversation as I drove along Excelsior while I tried to convince him that indeed if he just waited long enough he would love it again, but in the mean time could he please play something by Ted Leo and preferably off of the Tyranny of Distance. Eventually he did and it was my least favorite song on the album… I was hoping for Biomusicology, but as I’m terrible with remembering the names of songs I just had to go with his best judgment. I still love him anyway and not in that Enduring Love creepy kind of way either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home