Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly... All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise... blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these sunken eyes and learn to see all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

I'm not usually one for spreading other people's quoted words about, but yesterday during a job interview I used a current favorite thought of mine. Anton Chekhov was quoted as saying "If you want to work on your art, work on your life". I have to be able to laugh at myself for using this phrase which resonates very deeply for me in an attempt to interject myself into the world of corporate America. Ok, to be honest I haven't been laughing at myself for using it and I have been wrestling with the oncoming repercussions of now accepting (in an as usual rushed decision) said corporate job. Granted - the position is only temp to hire, but they have quite an intensive training so they wanted to make sure I'm really signed on for the position. I had to say yes, especially since yesterday afternoon was the new low point in what had up until then been a pretty scar free stint, scratches and temporary bruises like I'm sure this will turn out to be, but right now it still stings, as a temporary employee. I’m still nervous though, the people seem really nice, the atmosphere good, the work is not ideal, but the compensation seems like it definitely will be. I also hate the idea of being caught in-between things and the possibility of letting people down (no matter how briefly I’ve known them) if I would possibly get an interview for one of the nonprofit positions that I’ve been polishing my cover letters to a steady gleam for. (Also I do realize this position is technically temp to hire, however they have a very good history of hiring their temps and yesterday were selling me the fact that there is much room for moving around within the company and it is encouraged. Also, there would be a possibility that I could be hired on before the temping period is technically over. Meaning that instead of this decision happening in May when the temp period runs to if they are happy with me they could bump it up a couple of months.) Evidently because of a situation at the company they needed to know last night what my decision was, even with that my contact told me that the interviewer had told me that he would wait for me because he was just that impressed. I was nervous going in there in how my experiences would transfer over to the corporate world and how that would be viewed in an interview. Evidently I’m a good communicator, but is this the right thing to do? As far as corporate goes the company seems to have its head/heart? in the right place, but that doesn’t alleviate all my fears. Have I joined the enemy? Will I be forgiven and where do I go from here?

5 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

"If you want to work on your art, work on your life." not "if you want to work on your art, work on your work." Which makes no sense. What I'm trying to say is that as an artist, you will find art in just about everything. You know that you're passionate about your art, and that, given the opportunity, your art would be your work. Wanting - no, NEEDING - a steady paycheck doesn't make you a sell out. You can get your inner-philanthropist fed in any number of other ways, through volunteering or, let's face it, just BEING you. This job doesn't sound like a horrible cold heartless thing anyway, really, though insurance is a scam. This is still your life. I think for some people it's MORE your life if you're doing something that isn't so consuming that you can't enjoy the things that aren't your job, you know?

I think you're doing the right thing. And if something comes along, you'll know you if you need to be on that path and you'll take it. Congratulations on the new job! :)

1:21 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

my favorite quote is always, "variety is the spice of life".
tee hee. No I think there's some truth to that. I think you're doing the right thing as well. I will venture though that a lot of the greatest artists have kind of messed up lives. But don't we all.
s.

1:54 PM

 
Blogger Xtine said...

thanks for the words guys... although seriously mr.s i'm threatening bludgeonment (if that be a word or not)...

2:52 PM

 
Blogger Maria said...

"Messed up" is all relative. Also I think artists lives are always kind of messed up because they have this incredibly important function, but are totally devalued and made to balance more "substantial" work with their art...to have to deny your passion to be able to function is incredibly tedious, and a hard line to walk in a culture that values money and status so much.

The spice of life is considering all the various ways I'm going to kick your ass if you don't cut it out, yo...

3:35 PM

 
Blogger Xtine said...

ok. I think you guys might be misunderstanding what I'm writing, so I'm going to try and clarify.

a)The context with which I was using the quote was that the interviewer was asking if I had any aspirations to go to grad school or any other further schooling. I told him that yes, I do indeed want to get more education, but I don't want to go back to school yet. I think that it is important to, as I interpret the quote, work on my life ie. experiences in the world etc. in order to work on my art.

2) How is the place that you spend eight hours a day not a large part of your life? I think that it is important to find something that fufills you and isn't just a paycheck and if it doesn't fufill you it should at least mesh with your ideals and morals! If not I'm no better than the rest of them that don't see the corrupt system of America for what it is. (ok... i'll try and tone down the soap box... but this is important to me)Granted multiple temp jobs hasn't been helping my soul - but it has been giving me plenty of different experiences, which I will not be forgetting anytime soon.

Things are always more complicated than I tend to be able to express...

8:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home