Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly... All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise... blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these sunken eyes and learn to see all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

My Mom forwarded the STRIKE ALERT message that her local teacher's union had sent out regarding the current teacher strike occuring at another nearby school my brother, Dad and I today. My aunt (my mother's sister... who is also quoted in the preceeding article) teaches third grade at this school and has been out there on the picket lines since day one.
In response to my mom's email I sent her this little note:

So Mom... are you going to go and join the line? Show a little solidarity? If you do, remember that it is winter, dress warm and take hot cocoa with you.

Also - where do they get replacement teachers from? Are they robots?

Christine


She sent this back to me:

Christine,
I am thinking about it but it is also my birthday and I have stuff I need to get to the classes. But I am thinking on it. I think they advertised in the cities papers.
Robots? Well I suppose they are people who want work and are not union
Love MOM


I'm posting this for two reasons a) to show some support and solidarity to my aunt and the other striking teachers and 2) to further illustrate the vast differences that are my mother and I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home