Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly... All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arise... blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these sunken eyes and learn to see all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Monday, February 16, 2004

I keep hearing about electability and this frightens me.
Why are we so focused on who the other guy would vote for? Don’t people realize that now, especially in the primaries and caucuses that are occurring, now is your chance much more than in the nationwide election to make your voice be heard. This is about you and your choice and picking the right candidate to represent you and your issues rather than voting based upon what your neighbor thinks is right and following suite. Am I missing something here? Granted my politics are much more radical than the people that I have chosen to support and so you may in fact call me somewhat of a hypocrite. I do believe that it is important to choose someone to bridge the gap between us all. However, don’t just give up and pick the guy everyone else is. This isn’t high school. It does remind me of it though. When I was a senior at my rather small school in northern Minnesota I decided that I wanted to be chosen as queen of our winter school festival called SnoBall. Since the decision was made rather democratically (we nominated people in our class and then those names were given to the student body to be voted on) I thought I had a rather good chance. All I had to do was get a nomination and then get my name out there to the rest of the student body on voting day. Most of the underclassman would not be familiar with the senior student names and with the help of some homemade posters and a handy catch phrase “Vote Christine for SnoQueen!” I had a fairly good chance at it. This was the route that we (a couple of my friends and I) undertook. My friend Maren even made up the two little posters to go up on the voting day. After the voting was in I found out that I had not been chosen as SnoQueen. This I could live with – evidently our tactics had not been effective as we had thought. What threw me the most however was that my dear friend Maren had decided not to vote for me on the basis that she didn’t think that I would win.
What?!
This is how our country is working. I just don’t get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home